Re: Kernel Security Extensions USENIX BOF Summary

From: sarnoldat_private
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 13:45:55 PDT

    On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 04:41:22PM -0400, jmjonesat_private wrote:
    > > The basic idea was to provide a module and utility that could be used
    > > to verify that for each system operation, the right set of hooks was
    > > called and the kernel responded properly when those hooks returned
    > > errors.  Otherwise, it would be very easy for a hook call to become
    > > "lost" or bypassed when a set of updates were made to the kernel.
    > > I think the idea was proposed by Steve Kramer of HP.
    >
    > Ouch!  Big Job.  Mighty hard diggin'!
    >
    > The idea of "responded properly", it seems to me, would be module
    > specific... appropriate responses would depend on the policy in
    > force.

    Nope. :)

    The idea is, if I understand correctly, is that a module should be
    written, along with some userspace program, that will exercise every
    hook in the kernel. You know, some way to ensure that the hooks we
    insert (and depend upon in our modules) *stay there* and don't get
    dropped at the whim of some developer or forgetfulness. Or worse, change
    their 'meaning'.

    Think of it as a regression test, but just to make sure the whole
    blasted contraption works. It may be able to test for bugs too, when the
    project gets old enough to have bugs. :)

    Think of something like a POSIX test suite, or Java test suite.

    Yeah, it probably isn't going to be as much fun as writing the modules
    that we all want to write, but .. hopefully such a tool would make
    debugging things easier for everyone.

    I *did* get it correct, right?