Re: pathnames

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 17:06:44 PDT

    Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
    >Not sure if I understand you correctly here, but if all i have is the
    >inode and relative pathname (ie, inode for "/var/spool/mail", and
    >name "hallyn"), that is obviously insufficient, since that prevents
    >me assigning the same typename at points in otherwise distinct fs
    >subtrees.  For instance, for whatever reason, I might have /var/spool/mail
    >and /usr/spool/mail as actually different directories, same security label,
    >but want to assign a different security label to "hallyn" under each.

    Could you elaborate?  Are you saying that /var/spool/mail and
    /usr/spool/mail refer to the same inode, but you want different
    semantics depending on which filename is used to refer to the
    directory?  I don't see how you can make this compatible with
    Unix semantics, so maybe this isn't what you're referring to.

    Or are you saying that they refer to two different inodes, but
    that with your current choice of the space of possible label,
    these two inodes might get assigned the same label even though
    you want /usr/spool/mail/hallyn to have a different label from
    /var/spool/mail/hallyn?  In this case, have you considered the
    possibility of enlarging the space of possible labels to fix
    this problem?  In other words, include another field in the
    security object of each directory inode with all the information
    needed to know how to assign labels to new files created under
    that directory.  This seems like it would likely form a clean
    solution to the problem for many natural policies, but since
    I don't know what policy you are trying to enforce, I don't
    know for sure whether it would apply to your case.

    Did I understand correctly what you are trying to accomplish?