Re: LSM Patch Additions for CAPP (C2) Audit Trails

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 09:55:01 PDT

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    >    * Now: sufficient hooks to support access controls.
    >    * Later:  try to pitch the mainline kernel group on audit hooks

    Thank you, that helps.  Can it be phrased (less succinctly) as an
    interative approach, as follows:

    1)  Produce an interface that provides the smallest number of hooks
        possible that reliably allow a module to further restrict access to
        kernel objects without substantially modifying the kernel logic or
        structure.  Relevant kernel objects being related to filesystems and
        IPC (sysv,unix domain,tcp?)

    2)  Sell the project into the Kernel.

    3)  Extend the interface to address other (e.g.,audit) needs in a like
        manner IF some sort of willingness or acknowledgement from the kernel
        developers can be found to support it.

    4)  Repeat steps 2 and 3 as other security related needs may be
        identified in the future. (until we run out of steam.)

    So, the "wall is sticky" only to patches that:

    A) do not modify the effect of the kernel-side logic except to isolate
       the placement of the hook relevant to the current development
       iteration.

    B) add hooks ONLY if similar functionality cannot be derived from
       a combination of existing hooks or (minor) modification of other hooks.
       The issue of granularity is a hard sell, but not a deal breaker.

    C) strictly apply only to the current iteration (in the first case,
       restrictive access control to relevant kernel objects.)

    Or do I misunderstand? :)
    J. Melvin Jones