Re: LSM Patch Additions for CAPP (C2) Audit Trails

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 09:57:14 PDT

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > Ted agreed with the consensus the LSM list came to a few weeks ago:
    > movking kernel logic out to a module is too intrusive and too
    > risk-prone, so don't do it.

    This statement seems to highlight why capabilities support has been
    so difficult to strategize, and why some of the "thinking" about it has
    leaked over to threaten contamination of other parts of the interface.

    The original "move capabilities to a module" value that partly triggered
    LSM now seems somewhat inconsistant... we're not really doing that at all:
    just *extending* capabilities support to a module, leaving it basicly
    intact in the kernel, and treating it the same way we're treating any
    other pre-existing kernel security mechanism: extending, not moving.

    If that's the case, shouldn't we revert ANY kernel logic moved OUT, for
    any purpose, and "bite the bullet a little on invasiveness" to change
    the kernel-side logic if and only if it is absolutely necessary to isolate
    our hook, using the "extend only" argument to cover these changes as being
    the least restrictive to meet the need?

    If "one step at a time" is the best way to sell LSM, we're taking two
    steps with our first leap: capabilities and restrictive access controls,
    trying to get the sugar from capabilities to help balance the bitter from
    restrictive.

    Sincerely,
    J. Melvin Jones