Re: Kernel Security Extensions USENIX BOF Summary

From: Amon Ott (aoat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 02:59:27 PDT

    On Don, 05 Jul 2001 Greg KH wrote:
    > On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 05:07:49PM -0400, jmjonesat_private wrote:
    > >
    > > Only one question: what if you WANT to reconstruct pathname data... not
    > > just absolute, but also what was originally specified.  Is that
    > > possible with strictly inode-based protections, and, if not, is there a
    > > SIMPLE way to add it to the LSM model without getting into "mixed models"?
    >
    > An inode can point to any number of valid paths to that file.  Think of
    > multiple mounts of a filesystem at different places in the tree.
    > (Hm, let's mount /dev/hdd8 at /etc, /tmp/etc, /var/etc, and
    > /home/foo/etc )
    > So reconstruction the original path from a inode is almost impossible.
    >
    > Also remember per-user namespaces :)

    Then we must come up with a clear strategy how to deal with it. There are
    several solutions:
    - Provide the path the process used for lookup, turned into an absolute path
    (context solution)
    - Return the path via first mount
    - ?

    We might have to have a per-process table of mount parents as soon as we come
    to multiple mounts, what is sure ugly.

    > Did that answer your question?

    No, it only details the problem...

    Amon.