Re: Security through Permissiveness: A Zen Riddle?

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 13:11:47 PDT

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > As I understand Shane's original request, it is to get away from the
    > UNIX all-or-nothing "root" security model, without totally throwing away
    > UNIX.

    It seems to me that this is most easily done with a wrapper application
    that setuid's root then drops all privs but the necessary ones based on
    some policy.  Of course, this goes to the granularity of the ability to
    drop privs.  At this point in history, the granularity is not too fine.

    Heaven help the person who is using a setuid wrapper that has "holes."

    A permissive interface, right now, is a big leap.  I agree (after
    significant consideration) that the "restrictive-only" case is the best
    way to proceed FIRST, but am somewhat concerned about the implication
    that other security strategies will never be tackled.

    Going back to one of my previous suggestions: wouldn't it still be fairly
    simple and useful to move

        security_ops->

        security_ops->restrictive->

    and allow other submissions for potential

        security_ops->permissive_ops->
        or even
        security_ops->authoritative_ops->

    hooks in the future... perhaps after the original set of restrictive hooks
    is accepted into the kernel,

    Also, along these lines, move all capabilty-specific functions to

        security_ops->capabily_ops->

    The advantages:

    *  The interface would allow restrictive-only modules to refuse any
       subordinate registration that had a non-NULL permissive substructure,
       or to easily implement a "no/never" set of hook functions.

    *  The "GREP-TEST" would function.

    *  While hooks need not be placed now, there's a logical place to
       put them in Stage II or Stage X if they become useful.

    *  Many people/organizations seem interested in working on Stage II
       or Stage X submissions NOW and may potentially abandon LSM if their
       interests are not explicitly addressed.  The more the merrier.

    The disadvantages:

    * we'll go to the Kernel Developers with a few lines in our patch
      "reserved for future purposes"  of the people interested in other
      areas of interest for linux security.  These can be argued as being
      "other security interests that will be discussed before implementation."

    * we're wasting a few bytes.

    The current strategy/interface addresses several needs: Linus' original
    comments, the needs of many security module developers, and other
    theoretical needs; the whole issue of if LSM may get accepted by the
    Kernel Developers at all, and some others.  What it DOESN'T do is assure a
    forward path for other interests, which is an important factor for those
    interested in "out of strategy" linux security.

    I request, humbly, that the structure be changed (although it will make
    extra work for me) to *explicitly* "ground-floor" other interests.

    Sincerely,
    J. Melvin Jones