Re: Security through Permissiveness: A Zen Riddle?

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 14:55:53 PDT

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Greg KH wrote:

    > On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 04:59:59PM -0400, jmjonesat_private wrote:

    > A complete statement of opinion.
    >
    > How I have come to have that opinion:
    >     Both of those reasons are reasons patches have been rejected from
    >     the kernel in the past.  My own included.  Both of these reasons are
    >     public knowledge if you read the kernel mailing lists and talk to
    >     the developers themselves.
    >
    >     Hell, I've rejected patches from people for those very reasons for
    >     the small portion of the kernel that I am a maintainer for :)
    >
    > So my opinion is based on personal experience and public knowledge,
    > which can be researched.
    >
    > And you base your opinion on?  :)

    Okay, if you want to go there...

    My opinion is based on 20+ years of experience designing, contracting,
    and implementing software solutions for Linux, Windows, MSDOS, Unix, VMS,
    OpenVMS, and other not-so-widely-known operating systems.

    How many years have you been doing this?

    The *key* to getting ANY API accepted is to contrive it so coders look at
    it and say "hey, brilliant, that gives me an idea...".

    All Kernel Developers are coders, first.

    Selling an API that provides something USEFUL, and answers the "hrm,
    perhaps it's incomplete?  what about..." question is easier than selling
    one that's USEFUL and incomplete... to coders.  Are you saying that the
    majority of Kernel Developers are too naive to see the issues we've
    raised but decided not to address ?

    Yes.  I agree: I've rejected code that has a lot of wasted bytes to
    preserve opportunities *THAT WERE NOT IMPORTANT*, but there have been
    a LOT of permissive opinions here and they've been largely "rejected out
    of hand" in the "consensus" equation.  Maybe 60/40 restrictive/permissive.

    Changing the naming convention and structure definition to address the 40%
    costs about 30 minutes effort, and a consensus to do so.  What are the
    arguments AGAINST it, other than your "experience?"

    > > My proposal doesn't prevent this.  It simply changes the security_ops
    > > structure minimally to address other needs.
    >
    > If it isn't needed today, don't have code that has it in it today.
    > That's one of the kernel source rules.

    My point is it IS needed.  Not to everybody, but to many, many
    people.  Numerous posters to this list have argued for it.  What ISN'T
    needed, in Stage I, is to address it with hooks, but what *IS*  needed is
    an acknowlegment of its relevance for being encompassed in LSM, at least
    in a "future plans" sense.

    > Unless we are talking about reserved fields in data structures that _can
    > not change_ over time.  Like those in a filesystem, or those that
    > interact with userspace.  Our data structures are neither.  Hence, we
    > can change them over time as modules come to need them, _after_ we get
    > the current stuff finished and accepted.

    security_ops->permissive_ops

    need not change from NULL in the future, nor need any of the hooks
    admitted in Stage II-X change, if implemented within my proposal.  Are you
    saying security_ops->inode_ops->something will NEVER EVER CHANGE in the
    future?

    Oh, and generally... I've been with Linux since 1.x... EVERYTHING can be
    changed over time.  That's a prime argument used AGAINST a lot of things
    on this list: nothing is carved in stone.

    > greg k-h

    Due Respect,
    J. Melvin Jones