Re: Security through Permissiveness: A Zen Riddle?

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 16:53:06 PDT

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, Devdas Bhagat wrote:

    > Ok. How about starting simplifying life first?
    > Other than history, is there *any* reason to allow the first 1024 ports
    > bindable only by root? Since malicious users can now have root access
    > to their own systems, the rationale for restricting the lower ports to
    > be accessible only to root is no longer valid. Remove that restriction
    > and a whole lot of things become simpler.
    > In this case, each program has its own space, its own user and its own
    > privileges.

    I delayed answering this, for a while, because it required some thinking.

    It would seem to me that the restriction of "system ports" to the first
    1024 ports was an "early" attempt to address forward security needs.  As
    such, it was INCREDIBLY successful... showing simple solutions CAN have
    great impact.

    This is not a Linux thang though, it's an Internet (RFC/STD) thing, if I
    remember correctly.

    It may be possible to open ports other than 0-1023 for "system" access in
    linux, but they probably aren't going to ever become "universal".
    Quite honestly, PORTS are a construct that MUST be universal under
    TPC/IPC to really work.

    The port binding strategy of LSM is non-existant or barely begun, at this
    point. Removing this obstacle probably is an argument for "removing an
    obstacle before it blocks your path."

    Many weeks ago, somebody suggested creating port structures in /proc/
    that refected the specific ports being opened and their permissions.
    This is one way to handle this within the pre-existant paradigm that I
    like, but not enough to "bid on".

    I'm still waiting to see how it goes.

    J. Melvin Jones