Re: Names vs. Inodes

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 08:28:48 PDT

    On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 10:15:33PM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > SubDomain does not allow confined programs to call mount or umount.  SubDomain's
    > threat model is only concerned with confined processes and principals external to
    > the machine.  Unconfined processes don't matter, because there either shouldn't be
    > any, or they are there for a reason and are trusted.

    Ok, so then all SubDomain has to contend with is handling hard links.

    But since I know that SubDomain only allows hard (and soft) links if
    they are specifically listed in a process's profile, no unknown links
    can be created by a process.

    So the inode that is passed to permission() should only have a dentry
    list containing 1 dentry.  Reconstruct the path from that dentry, and
    bob's your uncle.

    But just to make sure, it would only take about 15 minutes to create a
    very small lsm module to verify this :)

    greg k-h