Re: Names vs. Inodes

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 11:45:44 PDT

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:32:48 PDT, Crispin Cowan <crispinat_private>  said:

    > If someone has a practical, detailed way to construct the name, please
    > speak up.  Note that it is not sufficient to be able to construct *some*
    > name that *could* have been used to open the file: we need the actual name
    > that was used to make the request.

    I'm curious how you can reconstruct the name for this sequence:

            mkdir("/tmp/foo");
            cd("/tmp/foo");
    	rmdir("/tmp/foo");
    	/* run for a while */
    	int whatname_for_fd = open("bar");

    namei() will work off '.' which is still around as long as it's the
    process current directory - but '.' isn't attached to a name anymore.

    Given that some other process can create a new /tmp/foo in the meantime,
    I think that the right term here is "basically intractable".  The file
    created by the open() call *has* no name in the file system.

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Operating Systems Analyst