Re: Names vs. Inodes

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 12:28:57 PDT

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > To correct an (apparently common todya) misconception, SubDomain does not
    > deny access to specified names.  SubDomain grants access to specified
    > names, and denies access to everything else.  This is a subtle but
    > important consideration with respect to the validity of denying access to a
    > file based on its name, when in fact the file could be aliased under a
    > different name with a hard link.

    This would seem to me to be an excellent description of a "permissive"
    policy.  Protection of the core file (restrictive) would be applied at
    the deepest (inode) level, but confined applications would be
    permitted *specific* accesses based on filename.

    Perhaps this is only "permissive relative to LSM-sea-level", but is it not
    permissive?  The difference is subtle, but add the fact that other
    security modules MIGHT care about "unconfined" processes/programs,
    rather then just lumping them into "trusted", it would seem a fine-but--
    useful distinction.

    Since there are "standard" security functions already in place in the
    kernel, which COULD provide restrictive control that is widely understood,
    and a little "permissive tweaking" COULD allow "confined processes" to get
    access they otherwise wouldn't have a prayer of getting, I see a need for
    authoritative, if not permissive, tweaks to LSM as being inherent in this
    strategy.

    Inquiringly,
    J. Melvin Jones