Re: State of Audit Proposal ?

From: Chris Wright (chrisat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 18:38:23 PDT

    * KRAMER,STEVEN (HP-USA,ex1) (steven_kramerat_private) wrote:

    > I'm also curious as to why you don't think Linux is an appropriate
    > system for which to eliminate covert channels.

    the best example is -ENOENT vs -EPERM (or -EACCES).  these values
    are returned for different reasons from different points in the code.
    so it is not as simple as let the MAC test determine the error it wants
    to return.  linux source makes no attempt at single points of return
    from functions.  you'll see many functions that use goto to try and get
    a single point of return, but just as many functions don't.  so the code
    audit required to assure yourself that you've managed every code return
    path is high cost/low reward, IMHO.