Re: File descriptors: LSM should support them in phase 1.

From: Casey Schaufler (caseyat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 09:30:41 PDT

    "KRAMER,STEVEN (HP-USA,ex1)" wrote:

    > Exactly.  The SGI folks appear to be trying to play by the "rules of
    > the game", vague as they may be.

    Thanks. We try.

    > On the one hand, they are told to
    > not pollute phase 1 with audit and wait for phase 2, and on the other
    > hand they are being told that phase 2 is nowhere near a certainty.

    Well, we ARE doing an audit implementation, that's not
    an uncertainty. The question is if LSM will be sufficient
    for it. If it isn't, we're back to square one, with multiple
    conflicting implementations of security facilities competing
    for approval for inclusion in the official tree. We don't
    want that. It's reasonably clear that conflicts need to be
    resolved to mutual dissatisfaction within LSM before we can
    stand united before the larger community.

    The larger community is going to hit us with both barrels.
    It's been that way since I started putting these features
    into U2X back in 1987. We have to be strong and together,
    or we're toast, lightly spread with peach compote.

    > Does anyone know the chances of a phase 2?

    We will do it, if audit isn't in Phase 1. We have to,
    our market (honking big compute boxes, etc) depends
    on it. It's the reason we're here. Working together
    to make Linux better.

    --

    Casey Schaufler				Manager, Trust Technology, SGI
    caseyat_private				voice: 650.933.1634