Re: The Demise of Simple Assurance?

From: richard offer (offerat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 17:29:06 PDT

    * frm crispinat_private "07/31/01 17:18:27 -0700" | sed '1,$s/^/* /'
    *
    * Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:
    *
    *
    *> OK... riddle me this:  Do any of the various contingents have security
    *> models/plans that would *not* be recast in terms of authoritative hooks
    *> (possibly in conjunction with internal programming style guides such as
    *> "always set EPERM first, and clear it if it SHOULD be allowed")?  Are
    *> all flavors of permissive/restrictive doable via authoritative, or is
    *> there some subtle issue regarding hook placement/etc?
    *
    * Here's some hook placement issues that do come up, following a discussion
    * with Chris Wright:
    *
    *    * MAC/DAC sequence:  making the hooks authoritative means universally
    * doing the      DAC checks first.  To be authoritative, the hook must be
    * the very last thing      checked before access proceeds.  SGI may not
    * like this.
    *    * Being fully authoritative:  there are code paths where an early DAC
    * check that      fails short circuits out of the kernel.  With our current
    * hook placement, we      won't catch all of those short circuits out of
    * the kernel.  Therefore, the hooks      won't really be universally
    * authoritative, unless we go place a lot more hooks.      Chris is unsure
    * of how many additional hooks would need to be placed.

    I thought we agreed to not call it MAC/DAC sequence, but module/in-kernel
    sequence :-)

    I thought that being fully authoritative using a single hook implied moving
    current kernel logic out into a module. There would be no issues with
    module/in-kernel sequence since there would be no in-kernel.

    Of course I'm probably wrong.

    *
    * Crispin

    richard.