Re: The Demise of Simple Assurance?

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 18:01:04 PDT

    On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 05:29:06PM -0700, richard offer wrote:
    > I thought we agreed to not call it MAC/DAC sequence, but module/in-kernel
    > sequence :-)

    Aye, but old habits die hard, and this habit has been going on for
    weeks. :)

    > I thought that being fully authoritative using a single hook implied moving
    > current kernel logic out into a module. There would be no issues with
    > module/in-kernel sequence since there would be no in-kernel.

    You are assuming replacing the entire in-kernel logic with hooks to
    module calls. The easy way to use what we have done so far is to change
    each instance of

    	if (!(kernel logic))
    		security_ops->voodoo();

    into
    	retval = kernel logic;
    	security_ops->voodoo(retval);

    We could do something more like this:
    	security_ops->voodoo()
    where security_ops->voodoo() {
    	our check;
    	kernel check;
    }
    -or- security_ops->voodoo() {
    	kernel check;
    	our check;
    }

    In the case of keeping the kernel logic where it is and passing in the
    return values, the easiest (and smaller patch :), the kernel logic must
    be done before the policy-specific logic, which is the SGI problem.

    Moving the kernel logic into the module will allow SGI to fix this
    problem; however, the size of the patch is quite likely to expand as
    kernel logic is pulled from the kernel wholesale, and we then have the
    various modules duplicating kernel checks -- and the mess that brings
    with it for maintenance.