Re: Making forward progress

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 11:55:48 PDT

    On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 02:20:27PM -0400, jmjonesat_private wrote:
    > We're in the 0.x versions of LSM.  LSM is the "new security paradigm" for
    > linux, is we succeed.  We're changing things.  If you don't want to change
    > things, drop out now... things are GOING to change.  It's inevitable.

    It was my understanding that LSM was chartered to first and foremost
    allow existing security patches to be installed easily on generic Linux
    kernels shipped by the various distributions, in the form of modules.
    The LSM API is not intended for continuing security research -- it is
    supposed to be a vehicle for researched and tested projects to find
    greater acceptance among the public.

    I don't think that an API design phase should be the place to perform
    security research. The security research should inform the API design.