Re: Making forward progress

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 12:12:26 PDT

    On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Seth Arnold wrote:

    > On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 02:20:27PM -0400, jmjonesat_private wrote:
    > > We're in the 0.x versions of LSM.  LSM is the "new security paradigm" for
    > > linux, is we succeed.  We're changing things.  If you don't want to change
    > > things, drop out now... things are GOING to change.  It's inevitable.
    >
    > It was my understanding that LSM was chartered to first and foremost
    > allow existing security patches to be installed easily on generic Linux
    > kernels shipped by the various distributions, in the form of modules.

    Actually, I think this is the most insightful and astute question to be
    posed here in 2 or 3 months.  Kudoes, Seth Arnold.

    IF (and only if) the project is to provide a common API for multiple
    pre-existing modules, I'm out of here (probably a boon to some).  My
    module does not pre-exist, although I am in full belief it will blow
    everybody else out of the water. I suspect any pre-existing module
    developer would have the same belief. If it is aimed at providing an
    interface that actually addresses all of these AND the problem of future
    security in LINUX, I'm still here.

    Basicly: cooperate or compete... where does LSM lie?

    > I don't think that an API design phase should be the place to perform
    > security research. The security research should inform the API design.

    I agree, with your limitations.  What *IS* LSM about?  Should I email
    Linus on this topic?  Should the 40 or 50 others that were misinformed so
    do?

    J. Melvin Jones