Re: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 06:01:33 PDT

    On 10 Aug 2001, David Wagner wrote:

    > Yes, you're absolutely right.  Would the folks who want syscalls
    > be willing to post what functionality they expect to require, so
    > we can get some idea of which solutions will and won't work?

    Manual pages for the new SELinux system calls are available at
    http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/docs.html.  We add extended versions
    of many existing system calls that also take additional input
    or output security identifier (SID) parameters to allow applications
    to specify SIDs or obtain SIDs for processes and objects.  In addition
    to your typical calls (e.g. open, mkdir, stat, msgget, socket, etc), this
    also includes calls like msgrcv, recvmsg, getpeername, accept in order to
    obtain the SIDs of messages, packets, and peer sockets.  We also add
    a set of calls for translating between security contexts from security
    identifiers and obtaining security policy decisions using the security
    server, which encapsulates the security policy.  This allows application
    policy enforcers (e.g. an enhanced windowing system or database management
    system) to use the same interfaces as the kernel for obtaining security
    policy decisions, so they can enforce a system policy over their own
    objects (e.g. labeling windows, controlling cut-and-paste, labeling
    database records).  All of these calls are designed to be allow
    many different kinds of nondiscretionary access control policies to
    be supported without any change to the API.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private