Re: Low-level network hooks and rtnetlink

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 06:08:24 PDT

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, James Morris wrote:

    > Stephen, can selinux make do with just this level of granularity?

    I think SELinux is ok without finer-grained hooks.  The original SELinux
    prototype only had coarse-grained controls on objects like the ARP table
    and routing table.

    > I'd like to propose that we kill the ioctl() calls in netdev_ops, and use
    > the existing CAP_NET_ADMIN checks for controlling access to: netdevices,
    > routing tables, neighbour operations (e.g. ARP) and packet
    > schedulers/classifiers.

    Actually, I would prefer to keep the netdev_ops ioctl hook call in
    devinet_ioctl.  At that point, the interface name has been copied into
    the kernel, so we can use it to control the ability of an application
    to configure a particular network interface.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private