Re: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 07:39:34 PDT

    On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Greg KH wrote:

    >   - About /proc.  One word: Don't!  If you dig through the archives I
    >     have explained how a module should be exporting information that it
    >     wants to userspace, create a filesystem.  It's easy, fast, and the
    >     way to do things.  See the current sockfs, ramfs, tempfs, usbdevfs,
    >     and others for examples of how to do this very simply.  This is the
    >     way of the future, get used to it.  In fact, I recommend this over
    >     using a syscall for most interactions with the module (like for
    >     instance, loading profiles into SubDomain.)  syscalls do have their
    >     place, hence our need for 1.

    I don't think this works well if you are trying to provide extended
    forms of current system calls in order to pass additional security
    information.  Also, how do you deal with output parameters for
    syscalls when using a pseudo file system?  Passing pointer
    addresses as data to a write seems ugly, and doing a write-read
    sequence seems problematic for atomicity.  Finally, the pseudo
    file system implementations seem like they are even more prone
    to bugs (e.g. in the parsing of the data) than syscall implementations.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private