Re: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 12:14:45 PDT

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, richard offer wrote:

    > * With LSM, the syscall is always present but
    > * SELinux might not be, so I want a magic number/module id that I can use.
    > * Naturally, I also need the dummy syscall function to always return
    > * something like -ENOPKG.
    >
    > ENOSYS would be okay by me.

    -ENOSYS would be fine with me as well for my purposes, but I
    thought that an application might want to test for the existence
    of LSM itself (apart from any particular module) by checking
    for ENOSYS, which is why I suggested returning -ENOPKG.  On the
    other hand, assuming that LSM is adopted into the kernel,
    I suppose that this system call will always be present, so
    returning -ENOSYS from the dummy function is probably fine.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private