Re: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: richard offer (offerat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 14:43:14 PDT

    * frm gregat_private "08/10/01 13:38:21 -0700" | sed '1,$s/^/* /'
    *
    * On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 04:33:47PM -0400, jmjonesat_private wrote:
    *>
    *> No argument that support for stacking arbitrary modules is totally out.
    *>
    *> If there really is no need for a module_id in the syscall code for
    *> needs other than stacking (and it's not NEEDED for stacking, it just
    *> complicates it), and it's not going to be implemented at all,
    *> I agree completely.  It gets in the way.
    *>
    *> If it's there to address a legitimate need, I'd like to see it actually
    *> work with stacking and not encumber it, in the simplest incarnation
    *> possible. :)  I can't imagine a simpler incarnation than just passing a
    *> 32-bit integer through and letting the module deal with it... no
    *> registration necessary.
    *
    * I haven't seen any point so far that shows a legitimate need.
    * Everything I've seen talks about stacking modules.  Hence the current
    * version in the tree.  But have I missed anything?

    Its not only the application, but the module too, if I know that I'm being
    called from an application that is my policy aware, I can be less
    conservative about checking the values of the parameters since  those would
    have been generated correctly by my policy specific application library
    layer.

    Using a simple array of longs turns the system call into a private
    protocol, there should be someway to confirm that both ends are indeed
    talking the same private protocol.

    *
    * thanks,
    *