Re: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 15:10:00 PDT

    On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 02:43:14PM -0700, richard offer wrote:

    > Its not only the application, but the module too, if I know that I'm being
    > called from an application that is my policy aware, I can be less
    > conservative about checking the values of the parameters since  those would
    > have been generated correctly by my policy specific application library
    > layer.

    Think about what you just said.  Basically, "A simple value is all I
    need to validate that I a really running my trusted application so I
    will not do the normal kernel checks just for it, that I would do for
    any other program."

    Remind me never to run your kernel modules on my machines :)

    > Using a simple array of longs turns the system call into a private
    > protocol, there should be someway to confirm that both ends are indeed
    > talking the same private protocol.

    Hence the argument "call".  That defines the structure of the array of
    longs.  How many different "identifiers" do you need before you
    understand what the syscall wants to do?

    Hey, We're not inventing something new here, look at the network stack.
    This is a tried and true and fast way of doing things.  When in doubt,
    copy something that works.

    greg k-h