Re: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: richard offer (offerat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 17:48:44 PDT

    * frm gregat_private "08/10/01 17:15:35 -0700" | sed '1,$s/^/* /'
    *
    * On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 05:01:31PM -0700, richard offer wrote:
    *>
    *> I could have no way to determine if my policy is loaded. Seriously, I
    *> don't. Audit is invisible, so is MAC.
    *
    * But your module isn't.  Look in /proc/modules.  Call query_module(2).
    * Any number of different ways to do this.

    That assumes that it is a module, I may have compiled it into the kernel.

    *
    *> I'm not going to go and create a pseudo file system just to let
    *> applications know that my policy is loaded. That's bogus. You'd rather
    *> increase the kernel size than pass one extra parameter?
    *
    * No, I'd rather not overload an existing clean interface (syscalls) with
    * a new functionality that will take time (computer time with the extra
    * parameter)

    And that is slower than opening a file?

    * and administrative time (with people forced to register their
    * modules with some central authority.)

    I thought we'd all decided that a central repository wasn't a good idea
    yesterday.

    Simply passing the value thought doesn't require any admin.

    * And how much bloat is creating a single /proc entry to let your
    * userspace programs know that your module is loaded?

    Well, now I need /proc compiled in, that's 46k.

    Yesterday the argument was against using /proc instead of a system call.

    *
    * Come on, syscalls are not meant to do this.  This shouldn't even be an
    * argument.
    *
    * greg k-h
    *