Re: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 18:02:51 PDT

    My main axe to grind here was that it should be a syscall, so I've been
    quite through the rest of the debate, but thought I'd chip in here.

    richard offer wrote:

    > *> I'm not going to go and create a pseudo file system just to let
    > *> applications know that my policy is loaded. That's bogus. You'd rather
    > *> increase the kernel size than pass one extra parameter?
    > *
    > * No, I'd rather not overload an existing clean interface (syscalls) with
    > * a new functionality that will take time (computer time with the extra
    > * parameter)
    >
    > And that is slower than opening a file?

    I believe that the argumenthere is that the compute cost of an extra
    parameter is paid by all modules on every call to the LSM syscall, vs. a
    one-time cost of accessing a pseudo-file to identify a module.  The file
    access is slower, but occurs much less often, off the critical path.

    > * And how much bloat is creating a single /proc entry to let your
    > * userspace programs know that your module is loaded?
    >
    > Well, now I need /proc compiled in, that's 46k.

    It seems legitimate that an application may want to probe for the existance
    of a specific module.  But it also seems that not all modules will have this
    need (e.g. SubDomain doesn't need it, because I don't care how well
    SubDomain-enabled apps run on non-Immunix systems).  So what we need is a
    way for applications to detect modules, such that:

       * the detection doesn't cost too much
       * modules & applications that don't care about module detection don't pay
         for it

    Richard seems to feel that 46 KB of kernel space for /proc is too much to
    pay.  That seems a tad extreme to me: 46 KB is not much space for any
    machine bigger than a wrist watch, and for larger systems, I suggest that
    /proc will be included most of the time anyway.  So:

       * Richard: what embedded applications are there that are that tight on
         memory, and also need B1 security? (1/2 :-)
       * Group: is there perhaps a cheaper way to indicate the presence of an
         LSM module than a /proc entry? Or is that really the Linux Way to do
         this, and we should stop with the fussing?

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.