Re: Possible system call interface for LSM

From: Jesse Pollard (pollardat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 13:41:34 PDT

    Seth Arnold <sarnoldat_private>:
    > On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 01:20:00AM +0000, David Wagner wrote:
    > > Here we would have to tell admins that they can rmmod a LSM, but to
    > > install a new LSM they have to reboot (or else kill all process that
    > > might have used an extended syscall).  The need to reboot every time
    > > you rmmod a LSM seems pretty ugly.
    >
    > But it does make sense to ask the admins to stop running module-specific
    > applications when changing modules.

    How is that any different than when changing file system modules?

    "Don't mount dosfs if you have riserfs loaded instead.. and dosfs isn't loaded"

    I do agree that:

    	1. The execuatble should fail if the corresponding module is not
    	   loaded.
    	2. There should be a way to determine if the module is loaded
    	   (/proc/modules is reasonable for all but embedded systems)
    	3. The module loaded should be able to prevent itself from being
    	   unloaded.

    I'm not going to loose any sleep over requiring:
    	/proc
    	/proc/<security-module-name>/...

    I expect most significant modules will require multiple interfaces for
    the purpose of handling a security database (not necessarily related to
    inodes/files). There should be the ability to have multiple authentication
    methods available (pam is nice, but very limited - no real network interface,
    no remote authentication service, no third party authentication service).
    Some interface SHOULD use a socket style connect, others a more syscall
    structure.

    ONE interface method is not enough. Many different connections will be
    needed.