Possible system call interface for LSM

From: Lachlan McIlroy (lachlanat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 21:01:30 PDT

    There was some minor discussion recently about modules
    needing to modify the system call table to create module
    specific system calls.  It prompted me to investigate a
    fixed system call for LSM that will multiplex the variety
    of system calls required for each different security
    scheme.  I've attached a patch of the proposed idea for
    people to comment on.

    The basis of the patch is to create a new system call
    (sys_security) that accepts generic arguments (much like
    ioctl) and performs the copy_from_user() and
    copy_to_user() so the module doesn't have to worry about
    it.  This method requires that the application (or an
    associated library) know the format of the data that the
    module is expecting.  For that reason, it could be
    problematic if library A executed the system call of
    module B.  I've added a module id field to the
    security_ops structure that is set by the module when
    loaded and is checked against the module id provided by
    the application (or library) when the system call is
    executed.

    I'd appreciate any thoughts on this approach.

    ---
    Lachlan McIlroy                    Phone: +61 3 9596 4155
    Trusted Linux                        Fax: +61 3 9596 2960
    Adacel Technologies Ltd                    www.adacel.com