RE: [patch] IPC/Message Queues

From: Lachlan McIlroy (lachlanat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 20:33:21 PDT

    If the current process does not have permission to access any
    messages in the queue then it will either wait for a message
    that it can receive or the system call will return -ENOMSG,
    instead of -EPERM or -EACCES, which should be okay.

    > *
    > * Opinions?  If there are no objections, I can have Stephen
    > commit this
    > * patch tomorrow.
    >
    > I don't think I have any objections, but Lachlan knows this code much
    > better than I do.
    >
    > Off the top of my head, by making ipcperms() authoritative we
    > should be
    > okay in leaving this one restrictive.
    ipcperms() checks permission to access the queue but testmsg()
    and the msgrcv() hook check permission to access individual
    messages within the queue.  So if we can expect a scenario that
    has messages with different security attributes but in the same
    queue then we would be better off with the msgrcv() hook being
    authoritative.

    > *
    > * chris.
    >
    > richard.

    > ---------
    > Richard Offer                     Technical Lead, Trust
    > Technology, SGI
    > "Specialization is for insects"

    ---
    Lachlan McIlroy                    Phone: +61 3 9596 4155
    Trusted Linux                        Fax: +61 3 9596 2960
    Adacel Technologies Ltd                    www.adacel.com