Re: Common header for security blobs

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 14:08:30 PDT

    jmjonesat_private wrote:

    >In for a (pint), in for a pound... since we stuck an integer in the system
    >call that identifies the module, sticking it here is not a great big deal.

    No: we stuck an integer parameter into the system call that COULD be
    used to identify the module.  It could also be used to identify the day
    of the week, or the gross weight tonnage of your module when encoded on
    paper tape.  The point of that decision was to enable people who want to
    use it fo rmodule identification to do so, without burdening LSM with
    the "global registry" problem of creating a common list of module
    identifiers.

    I agree with Greg: anyone who wants to stack modules has to be aware of
    what they are stacking.  This has been discussed before.  It can be done
    in multiple (social) ways:

        * you can have the "gang of 17" consortia of module providers who
          all agree to honor some convention of module identifiers, i.e.
          Wheeler's suggestion of MD5 on the module name.
        * modules with grand ambitions (e.g. SELinux) can export their own
          module identifiers in some selinux_module_ids.h and everyone who
          wants to stack on top of selinux can do so by following selinux's
          protocols
        * etc. etc.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.