Re: Common header for security blobs

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 13:44:21 PDT

    On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Stephen Smalley wrote:

    > On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Chris Wright wrote:
    >
    > > something needs to coallate the modules' decisions and generate an
    > > aggreagrate result.
    >
    > This is true, but the lack of a common header makes a lot more work for
    > the multiplexor module.  As I said earlier, without a common header,
    > the multiplexor module must save the original security field on entry to
    > the hook, and then set the field to point to each module's object before
    > calling each module's hook.  Same thing in reverse on allocation of the
    > objects.  The problem is that the modules directly dereference the kernel
    > object's security field to set and access it, so they are all looking in
    > the same place.
    >
    > If we have a common header, then each module can simply be written to
    > search the list in the header for its own object, identified by the module
    > id.  Likewise, each module can be written to insert a new blob into the
    > list when alloc_security is called.  This simplifies the multiplexor
    > module to merely calling the submodules in sequence on the kernel objects,
    > without needing to tweak the security field at all.

    In for a (pint), in for a pound... since we stuck an integer in the system
    call that identifies the module, sticking it here is not a great big deal.
    I'd think the "idea" that jumped the hoop was that modules need to be
    identified... making the "blob"

    typedef struct {
      unsigned int modid;
      void *data;
    }
    LSM_BLOB;

    or something along those lines seems consistant.

    On the other hand, I tend to agree with Greg... this is a module issue,
    stackable-family or not.  However, since "modid" is already there, I think
    it hurts little to be consistant and pass that idea around.

    > --
    > Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    > ssmalleyat_private

    J. Melvin Jones