Re: Determing the difference between path_walk and chdir ?

From: richard offer (offerat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 18:01:41 PDT

    * frm dawat_private "09/26/01 00:24:46 +0000" | sed '1,$s/^/*
    /'
    *
    * richard offer  wrote:
    *> path_walk is "transient", it doesn't affect any subsequent decisions.
    *> chdir affects all subsequent (relative) file accesses.
    *
    * You mean, you're keeping shadow state about what directory the application
    * is in?  Isn't this really dangerous?  If your shadow state ever becomes
    * inconsistent with the kernel's state, your policy decision will be
    * incorrect, and you can end up with serious security holes.
    *
    * From my point of view, one of the great advantages of LSM is that it gives
    * us interfaces into the kernel that avoid the need to try to track what
    * the kernel is doing, emulate its idiosyncracies, and keep shadow state.
    * What is it you really want to do, and how can we improve LSM to enable
    * what you want to do in a safer way?

    I don't want to keep shadow state to emulate what the kernel is doing, I
    just want to record the directory/file that has been passed to sys_chdir()
    for audit.

    Without adding a bunch of new hooks (which is what we initally proposed)
    we're limited to (effectively) multiplexing a lot through permission() (and
    a bunch of other "super hooks", ie setattr() )

    richard.