Re: Binary only module overview

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 10:05:19 PDT

    On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 05:17:51AM +0000, David Wagner wrote:

    > <TANGENT>
    > (By the way, there is a difference between the word "include" and the
    > cpp syntax "#include".  They have seven letters in common, but it's not
    > clear that the two notions are necessarily equivalent when it comes to
    > licenses like the GPL.  To take this to an absurd extreme, one might
    > argue that any non-GPL user-level application running on Linux dare not
    > #include anything in /usr/include/linux/, but it is pretty hard for me
    > to see how such a position could be plausible.)
    > </TANGENT>

    User programs should not be including anything from /usr/include/linux.
    It is glibc's problem if it does that (I think it has been fixed in the
    latest few releases.)  Other system libraries do not include anything
    from that directory (dietLibc, uClibc, etc.)

    So yes, that argument is valid :)

    greg k-h