Re: Binary only module overview

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 22:17:51 PDT

    Greg KH  wrote:
    >My comment in security.h that I proposed [1] does not add any additional
    >constraints to the license that is currently on the file.

    That's not at all clear to me, especially considering Linus's position on
    binary-only loadable kernel modules (they're allowed, roughly speaking).

    I propose that we don't even try to make any special regulations on this
    topic in either direction.  If Linus and the kernel developers think
    this qualifies for special wording, let's leave that call up to them, and
    omit any special wording for now.  Our charter is to develop good code.
    Does this proposal seem reasonable?

    <TANGENT>
    (By the way, there is a difference between the word "include" and the
    cpp syntax "#include".  They have seven letters in common, but it's not
    clear that the two notions are necessarily equivalent when it comes to
    licenses like the GPL.  To take this to an absurd extreme, one might
    argue that any non-GPL user-level application running on Linux dare not
    #include anything in /usr/include/linux/, but it is pretty hard for me
    to see how such a position could be plausible.)
    </TANGENT>