Re: [RFC] 2.4.11-pre4 patch

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 07:52:18 PDT

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Chris Wright wrote:

    > i think, once we reach a stable snapshot, we'll need to break the patch
    > apart and present it to subsystem maintainers for comments.  for
    > example, i'd like create a LSM VFS patch and propose it to the
    > linux-fsdevel list.  i don't believe we can present the entire LSM patch
    > and expect any useful repsonses.

    Are you sure that this is necessary?   The SubmittingPatches document says
    to separate each logical change into its own patch.  LSM is a single
    logical change, i.e. the addition of security hooks to the kernel,
    although it spans many different kernel subsystems.  Also, since LSM was
    created specifically in response to Linus' remarks at the 2.5 kernel
    summit about what he would be willing to consider for inclusion in the
    mainstream Linux kernel, wouldn't it be better to send the entire patch to
    him and to lkml for initial consideration?

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private