Re: [RFC] 2.4.11-pre4 patch

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 09:22:30 PDT

    On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 07:23:11PM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > There are two conflicting schools of thought on this issue:
    >
    >     * conditional compilation is bad:  hard to maintain, etc.  So just
    >       use straight hooks, and make them as efficient as possible.
    >     * you can't please everyone, so make LSM config'able.

    I think what the "no conditional compilation" is a prohibition against
    is actually #ifdefs in the .c files. If our security.h header file has
    two different definitions for the hooks, along these lines:

    #ifdef CONFIG_LSM_SCAFFOLD
     #define foo_hook(x,y,z) _foo_hook((x),(y),(z))
    #else
     #define foo_hook(x,y,z) do { } while(0)
    #endif

    I'm sure gregkh will correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is
    that ifdefs for the config options is fine in headers, but is verboten
    in kernel code. (An excellent example is spinlocks: under SMP, they are
    spinlocks. Under UP, they are nothing.)

    > But you can't have both.  Most of us in LSM appear to be agnostic on
    > this question, so my plan was to go forward with the straight hooks, and
    > cooperate if the kernel consensus is that it should be config'able and
    > just change it.

    Hmm. Maybe not a bad idea. However, these function calls don't come
    free; I expect we will need to be able to take our hooks out at the flip
    of a switch.