Re: Authoritative hooks updated to 2.4.13

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 21:34:58 PST

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 19:59:47 EST, jmjonesat_private said:
    > For the peanut gallery, and because this concern seems to be outside LSM's
    > defined concern of "access restriction" (which is a hazy and largish
    > area), I would like to state that I don't see the ptrace problem as being
    > within the interest/scope of LSM, but I do see it as being within the
    > scope of Linux Security.

    Actually "access control" is defined with mathematical rigor.  The
    part that's fuzzy is trying to get a handle on all the *other* security
    issues that fall outside a anal-retentively strict definition of
    "access control".

    For an example of what I mean (and what I'm looking at at this moment),
    go look at http://www.grsecurity.net, where they've produced a patch that
    includes Solar Designer's OpenWall stuff, plus a few other things.  There's
    an amazing amount of Really Good Ideas there, and a lot of them are
    addressable through the current LSM hooks, since they're just access
    control (for instance, "dont follow symlinks in a world-writable directory
    unless the owner of the symlink matches the owner of the directory" - will
    do wonders for fixing /tmp races once and for all, and isn't all that
    hard to do in the LSM world.   On the other hand, although there's certainly
    value to be gained in randomizing the PID returned by fork(), or making the
    stack non-executable, or causing the base address of mmap() to return a
    semi-random value so shared libraries load at different points each time,
    I don't see how to do these in the LSM context (at least not for V1).
    I think we have a pretty good grasp on how to add auditing for the next
    turn of the crank - but there's a lot of stuff that it isn't clear
    how to do it in an LSM context.

    /Valdis