Re: Authoritative hooks updated to 2.4.13

From: Casey Schaufler (caseyat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 17:24:05 PST

    Greg KH wrote:

    > On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 03:09:32PM -0800, Casey Schaufler wrote:
    > >
    > > Posix ACLs. If I bring you Posix ACLs on a silver platter will
    > > you give me authoritative hooks? Yes or no?
    >
    > Let's talk after we get the current version of LSM into the kernel,
    > that's going to be a difficult process in itself :)

    Yes, in it's current state I expect it will be. Since
    it can't do so many things, and the "group" seems bent
    on spending it's energies on inventing excuses for the
    restrictive scheme's oft demonstrated weaknesses*, the
    upcoming failure is pretty well set in concrete.

    The current proposed scheme should fail. It does not
    perform the job it set out to do. We aren't after the
    pride that goes with getting code into The Kernel, we
    have work to do and customers to support, and maybe they
    won't be able to use Linux after all. That would be bad,
    and our time spent working with this project wasted.

    ---
    * Let's start with:
    	"Oh, that's audit, we don't like audit"
    	"That's proprietary, we don't like proprietary"
    	"That's too much code!"
    	"That's too many parameters"
    	"The developers won't like that!"

    --

    Casey Schaufler				Manager, Trust Technology, SGI
    caseyat_private				voice: 650.933.1634