Re: Authoritative hooks updated to 2.4.13

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 06:59:09 PST

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Casey Schaufler wrote:

    > Seriously, we're talking about a set of works-in-progress:
    > LSM, ACLs, Extended Attributes, XFS, and so on. We could make
    > ACLs work under authoritative LSM without any other patches,
    > but doing so might require some additional hooks. Of course,
    > there's no incentive to do so under the current conditions.

    Ok, but I'm still not clear on whether the POSIX ACLs security module that
    you suggested as an open source example has already been developed and can
    be released at any time once approved, or if it has yet to be developed.
    More generally, do you have any existing security modules that need the
    authoritative hooks that you are willing to open source as motivating
    examples?  If not, any idea on how long until you could have such a
    module developed?  Assume for a moment that other kernel patches (like
    extended attributes) aren't an issue.

    With regard to POSIX ACLs, is your module (or your intended future module)
    a port of the existing POSIX ACLs kernel patch available at
    http://acl.bestbits.at to a LSM security module, or is it something
    independently developed by SGI?  Just wondering whether we can glean any
    useful insights into what this module would look like by examining the
    existing open source POSIX ACLs kernel patch.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private