RE: Authoritative hooks updated to 2.4.13

From: KRAMER,STEVEN (HP-USA,ex1) (steven_kramerat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 15:43:48 PST

    It appears to me that the deck is stacked.  No matter what is asked of Casey
    & friends to do to get authoritative hooks in, the bar is moved each time
    they pass a hurdle.  First, the argument was that the complexity was much,
    much more than restrictive hooks.  The argument last summer was that, if SGI
    goes off and writes the diffs to turn the restrictive hooks into
    authoritative hooks, it would be considered in earnest.  They go off and
    return with diffs that most would agree aren't so that much more.  Now, the
    argument has changed.  It's been changed to "show us an access control need
    is there", and SGI immediately returns with "POSIX ACLs".
    POSIX ACLs are certainly a good example, once agreed upon as the defacto ACL
    standard by a number of major companies.  Now, it's "show us an access
    control mechanism that requires no Linux patches (given LSM is in the
    kernel)".  As the below remarks demonstrate, you -could- come up with such a
    case, although they are not planning on it.  I would take bets that if they
    actually did the work to produce a module with no patches needed, someone
    would say "show us that it could generate sales", and then, no doubt, "show
    us that the product makes a profit", or some such nonsense.

    Yes, some here never wanted authoritative hooks, and at each stage in the
    long process, tried (and try) to kill it.  However, there was consensus in
    the summer to let SGI come up with the auth patch and, if it didn't
    introduce a large degree of complexity, to let it go into BK.  What ever
    happened to that?  Are we now retreating to the earlier disagreement before
    the compromise was made?  I hope not.  I'm quite annoyed with the treatment
    given to Casey and Richard over the past few months with regard to this
    issue and the moving targets they have to reach.  Is it possible for all
    sides to operate in good faith here and resolve this fairly?

    --steve kramer