Re: Authoritative Hooks

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 13:44:45 PST

    On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Casey Schaufler wrote:

    > Unless the branch is the official Phase II. We believe that would
    > address all of the issues We can think of from my side. We expect
    > it would raise a bunch elsewhere, and that's fair.

    It sounds like you are asking for a commitment to pursue authoritative
    hooks in Phase II.  That seems premature since we haven't even submitted
    the current LSM yet.  I think it would be confusing to have a Phase II
    branch before we even have Phase I accepted, and possibly wasteful since
    Phase I may undergo radical changes prior to acceptance.  Certainly we
    should consider authoritative hooks and "logic out" in subsequent phases
    of LSM, but I think it would be a mistake to make such a commitment now.

    On a different but related topic, I wondered whether you really need
    authoritative hooks for POSIX ACLs.  Seems like you can achieve
    authoritative behavior for file access controls via the existing
    capable+restrictive scheme, even though this isn't sufficient for all
    kernel access controls.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private