Re: Legitimate Question

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 14:03:01 PST

    NO!  I am not asking for a bypass, but rather, I am asking for a means to
    test the security system for *specific* access privileges during an
    INSTALL, and only as ROOT.

    I agree that Stephen has a point.  I also think your point may
    be completely valid.  I guess I could write a check to try to write to all
    my files and also to run my application and INFER a failure therefrom...

    But this is not the way most install scripts work.  Better yet, a
    "standard" userid (root?) for installs could be implemented, or a simple
    call that checks based on a list of objects desired.

    If LSM doesn't like this idea, so be it.  All the product developers will
    have to change their method to accomodate, but I still would "want" a
    standard method.

    If no "standard" is adopted, I will write an application that can check
    multiple accesses, hopefully to be included with the "standard package".
    Is this beyond the realm of reasonable?

    Sincerely,
    J. Melvin Jones