Re: Legitimate Question

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 20:01:01 PST

    Kurt Seifried wrote:

    >This raises another point of interest. Many applications do unexpected
    >things, like accessing low (i.e. <1024) port numbers for no apperent reason,
    >friend of mine mentioned this after playing with gnome/etc and seeing it try
    >to bind all sorts of weird ports. Obviously if a system admin is loading
    >things like NTP it is quite simple (well, it should be =) to modify system
    >policies to allow a process/username/whatever to adjust the system time as
    >needed. On the other hand When I see things like Gnome trying to grab <1024
    >ports I think it may be a good idea to block that type of access. Generally
    >speaking any program that needs to do privileged thigns such as setting
    >system time, binding to ports <1024, etc will be documented as needing such,
    >and in any even you should have an error log to check when it doesn't work.

    This observation leads me in several different directions:

        * LSM is far more likely to be deployed on servers than on desktops.
              * Servers are more sensitive to security intrusions.
              * Desktops have more crap on them, and thus are harder to secure.
              * On average, server admins are more concerned and clueful of
                security than desktop users.
        * "Bitch mode" features (as found in SubDomain, SELinux, etc.) are a
          great way to detect that your nasty open sores :-) desktop
          software like GNOME is opening waay too many ports. It thus makes
          a helpful security audit tool.
        * The honeypot-like features that we did *not* choose to support in
          LSM 1 would enable cool stuff like faking out the low ports that
          GNOME wants. This would help in that you could run your GNOME
          skank ware :-) in a kind of a sandbox where it *thinks* it is
          getting access to low ports, but really isn't. This gives the
          desktop user a more pleasant option than the two extremes of "run
          it and be vulnerable" or "give up using GNOME". We should add this
          to the bag of rationalizations for LSM 2 (in addition to audit,
          honeypots, and secure virtual servers).

    >Otherwise what is the point of having LSM at all if we start allowing apps
    >full system access (i.e. root access as is currently implemented on most
    >stock unix systems)?

    Don't run GNOME on your servers :-)

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.

            The Olympic Games: A Century of Corruption and Graft
    	     The FIS: Crushing the soul of snowboarding