Hello - a new member from Panasonic

From: I.P. Park (iparkat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 14:49:21 PST

    Hello everyone,

    My name is I.P. Park from Panasonic Information and Networking Technologies
    Laboratory (PINTL). My colleagues and I have been on this list since last
    month. We are very interested in LSM work and I appreciate the great work
    you folks have done so far.

    My major interests are in the areas in the Linux-based embedded platforms
    (e.g. settops, cell phones, Internet appliances, etc.) We believe that, in
    order to improve the widespread adoption of Linux in the embedded platforms,
    in Panasonic and elsewhere, its security framework needs to be improved and
    we view the LSM technology as a highly promising.

    I will be very interested in sharing ideas in creating LSM-based security
    modules for Linux-based embedded systems. My short-term goal is to get a
    jump start on LSM (Peter and Crispin have already helped me out a lot). My
    mid-term/long-term goal will be to try to design/implement an LSM module
    suitable for embedded platforms.

    Recently, I attended the annual Embedded Linux Consortium (ELC) meeting. ELC
    (www.embedded-linux.org) is working on creating a standard for embedded
    Linux. They are in an early stage, and are currently trying to form working
    groups (WG) as part of their ELC platform specification initiative.

    There is a high interest in security in ELC community, and therefore it is
    likely that a security working group will be formed for the platform
    specification. This will probably happen sometime early June.

    I have a couple of questions for anyone in this community.

    1. What is the state of LSM's approval in the Linux kernel community ? Will
    there be a decision-making meeting sometime soon?

    2. Will anyone here interested in joining the security WG in the ELC if it
    is formed? (I intend to join this WG when it is formed.)

    Thank you very much.

    I.P. Park

    ----

    I.P. Park, Ph.D., Lead Scientist
    Panasonic Information and Networking Technologies Laboratory
    Panasonic Technologies, Inc.
    Phone: (609) 734-7355    Fax: (609) 987-8827
    Email: iparkat_private