LSM Summer BOF's

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 10:04:32 PST

    Greg KH wrote:

    >Chris and I are a "seed"?  Well, I've been called worse :)
    >
    >Seriously, I'd be glad to talk to anyone about LSM at OLS.  Chris's talk
    >will be a good catalyst for it.

    And on that note, it is time to consider when & where we will hold the
    next LSM BOF (Birds of a Feather). We can have more than one, but if
    they become disjoint, they may reach divergent conclusions. Here's my
    shopping list of candidates:

        * Can Sec West: May 1-3, Vancouver BC, Canada http://cansecwest.com/
              * I am speaking on Immunix in general, including LSM
        * IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy: May 12-15, Oakland
          California http://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP02/sp02index.html
              * This is the leading academic security conference, and as
                such has some great stuff, but can be rather theoretical.
              * But, it looks like they have a rather practical program this
                year
                http://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP02/sp02prelimprogram.html
        * USENIX Annual Technical Conference: June 10-15, Monteray
          http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix02/
              * Not specifically about security, but there are several
                security papers in the program
                http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix02/tech/techonefile.html
        * Ottawa Linux Symposium: June 26-29, Ottawa, Canada
          http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2002/
              * OLS has accepted Chris Wright's proposal for an LSM session.
              * Russel Coker has a talk on packaging SELinux for Debian
              * Greg KH has a speaking slot, but not on LSM
        * USENIX Security: August 5-9, San Francisco
          http://www.usenix.org/events/sec02/
              * At least one LSM paper was submitted. We find out in a week
                if USENIX Security accepts.

    I am probably going to all of these conferences. I am definitely going
    to CanSecWest, Oakland, and USENIX Security.

    So, among those who would attend/care about/speak at an LSM BOF, hand up
    if you are planning to go to any of these conferences. We can toss a BOF
    where ever we get critical mass. Any other suggestions?

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.