Re: OLS Bof info

From: James Morris (jmorrisat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 05:46:38 PDT

    On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Seth Arnold wrote:

    > Chris offfers a beer to whoever can come up with a slick solution so
    > that module authors don't have to define functions they don't care
    > about.

    I think this can be done relatively simply once the hooks are flattened
    out (I looked at this some months ago, and managing the double pointers
    was the only problem, IIRC).

    > We will need to flatten the security structure; who wants grunt work?

    If nobody else is planning to do this, I should be able to have a look at
    this and the issue above sometime over the next week or so.

    Also, while thinking about a way to enable the netfilter IP hooks to be
    registered dynamically by modules, it ocurred to me that it would be
    simpler, faster and more flexible to actually remove these hooks from LSM
    and let modules register netfilter hooks directly as required.  A dynamic
    registration interface would add more complexity to LSM, and may involve
    further performance hits to modules which use the hooks.  The more
    lightweight we can make LSM the better, and direct netfilter registration
    would allow modules to use exactly the hooks/priorities they need, rather
    than the current defaults which probably don't suit anyone perfectly
    anyway.

    Comments?

    - James
    --