Re: OLS Bof info

From: Chris Wright (chrisat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 08:43:11 PDT

    * James Morris (jmorrisat_private) wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Seth Arnold wrote:
    >
    > > Chris offfers a beer to whoever can come up with a slick solution so
    > > that module authors don't have to define functions they don't care
    > > about.
    >
    > I think this can be done relatively simply once the hooks are flattened
    > out (I looked at this some months ago, and managing the double pointers
    > was the only problem, IIRC).

    the main thing i want to avoid is fooling the module into thinking it
    has filled in all callbacks when defaults are automagically used.

    > > We will need to flatten the security structure; who wants grunt work?
    > >

    > If nobody else is planning to do this, I should be able to have a look at
    > this and the issue above sometime over the next week or so.
    >
    > Also, while thinking about a way to enable the netfilter IP hooks to be
    > registered dynamically by modules, it ocurred to me that it would be
    > simpler, faster and more flexible to actually remove these hooks from LSM
    > and let modules register netfilter hooks directly as required.  A dynamic
    > registration interface would add more complexity to LSM, and may involve
    > further performance hits to modules which use the hooks.  The more
    > lightweight we can make LSM the better, and direct netfilter registration
    > would allow modules to use exactly the hooks/priorities they need, rather
    > than the current defaults which probably don't suit anyone perfectly
    > anyway.

    I do like the idea of allowing the module to chose the priorities, and
    see no reason not to just use netfilter directly.  The only disadvantage
    I see is the explicit correlation between LSM and netfilter is hidden.

    cheers,