Re: OLS Bof info

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 09:56:13 PDT

    On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Chris Wright wrote:

    > * James Morris (jmorrisat_private) wrote:
    > > On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Seth Arnold wrote:
    > >
    > > > Chris offfers a beer to whoever can come up with a slick solution so
    > > > that module authors don't have to define functions they don't care
    > > > about.
    > >
    > > I think this can be done relatively simply once the hooks are flattened
    > > out (I looked at this some months ago, and managing the double pointers
    > > was the only problem, IIRC).
    >
    > the main thing i want to avoid is fooling the module into thinking it
    > has filled in all callbacks when defaults are automagically used.

    As king of the "relatively stupid questions", can I ask somebody to
    briefly explain:

    ASSUMPTION: the interface still allows ONE registration of the LSM
    structure, and all subsequent MUST be subordinately registered by the
    primary module. (I've been working off-the-tree for some time.)

    If the module isn't filling in the pointer when it registers the
    structure, and module-families MUST be interoperable, how can the module
    be fooled?  There's a strong prohibition here to module composition and
    providing help for the "bad programmer writing modules."  Any GOOD module
    will account for ALL the hooks, one way or another.  Most correctly,
    based on my experiences.  IF the module_doesn't_register THEN the default
    is in place, I would think.  I somewhat like the idea of "mixed modules"
    who don't step on each other's hooks, but think that's perfectly possible
    ABOVE the interface, and, the interface owes much of its efficiency to
    it's "non-severable" nature.

    --------

    Alternatively, a single check function that compares the address in the
    registered function or even returns the entire structure for the module to
    do it's "magic comparison" upon should be quite able to compare the
    address of the hook against the default, if the module wants to poll the
    structure.  This would not have to be done very often... only on
    registrations, so it's a trivial overhead, and it's somewhat protected by
    the module_id idea.

    Still Thinking In An Other Context,
    Apologies if I'm totally Off-Base,
    J. Melvin Jones