Re: Module Identifier

From: David Wheeler (dwheelerat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 09:38:36 PDT

    On the security module id convention...
    To be honest, I just cut-and-pasted SGI's post,
    which didn't use "-n".  You're right, my original post used "-n",
    sorry about the change.

    I can't see any serious advantages with or without "-n".
    With "-n" you're immune to varying end-of-line conventions, but
    they don't vary between (nearly all) Unix-like systems anyway.
    The "-n" option isn't available on some old "echo"s, but again
    that's irrelevant for Linux.

    I think we should do whatever most people who use the convention
    want to do.  Anyone care one way or another?
    I'd be happy to change it back to using "-n"; it seems to me that
    the important thing is to agree on a convention, that's all.

    Thanks.

    --- David A. Wheeler
         dwheelerat_private