Re: OLS Bof info

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 13:58:50 PDT

    richard offer wrote:

    > * chrisat_private at '7/2/02 12:54 PM -0700'
    > * No, we don't want this.  Kernel subsystems are particular to kernel
    > * version.  If you have these needs you are porting to kernel version Z.
    >
    > So we should make it clear for module writers that LSM version X on
    > 2.4 may have a different set of hooks than LSM version X on 2.5...

    I think you guys are talking at cross-purposes.

        * Chris is saying that modules should be compiled precisely for the
          kernel they are going into. Linux has never supported anything
          else. If a slightly newer kernel loads an older module without
          complaint, it is purely good fortune, but not supported.
        * Richard is concerned that the 2.4 and 2.5 API's will diverge. That
          is not the intent. We DO intend to keep the 2.4 and 2.5 LSM APIs
          consistent. If anything, broad release of a 2.4 version should
          wait until the 2.5 version is "settled", so that it won't change
          too rapidly once the 2.4 version is released.

    What this discussion is REALLY about is "safe" stub filling:

        * LSM has 150+ functions to populate. They *all* have to be
          populated, which can be tedious if you only want to mediate a few
          hooks.
        * Brute force solution: make the module programmer do it by hand.
        * Semi-automatic solution: some kind of mechanism that populates all
          of the stubs that you didn't fill in yourself.

    *Risk:* what if the kernel adds a new hook, and you (module writer)
    don't notice? And it's important to your security model, i.e. Chris adds
    the "kick Richard's module in the nads? Y/N" hook :) and Richard doesn't
    notice.

        * with the "manual fill" method, Richard's module won't
          compile/load, so he'll notice
        * with the auto method, Richard may well "port" is module to the new
          interface and not notice the new critical issue :)

    Crispin, who's just having fun with the personal pronouns and doesn't
    really mean anything by it :)

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com/~crispin/