Re: [patch] LSM base + task/binprm changes (Was: Re: Submitting LSM)

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 05:38:39 PDT

    On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Stephen Smalley wrote:

    > The dummy
    > module should mostly function as expected for traditional superuser logic,
    > but will run into a denial on netlink messages due to the lack of the
    > netlink changes in this patch.

    Sorry, this statement isn't correct.  As it currently stands, the dummy
    security module never touches or uses the task cap_* fields, so these
    fields retain the initial values inherited from the parent task, going all
    the way back to the init task.  Hence, any direct capability checks
    against the task cap_* fields by the base kernel (as opposed to calls to
    capable() or security_ops->capable()) will always succeed when the dummy
    module is in use.  In the full LSM patch, we replace all such direct
    capability checks with hook calls so that the dummy module can perform a
    traditional superuser test.  However, the base LSM patch that I posted
    does not include all of those changes, particularly the netlink changes
    and the OOM killer changes.  We could add those changes to this base patch
    for completeness if desired, but they are located in the mm code and the
    netlink code, so it may be preferable to keep them separate.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private